4.03.2007

Strictly for the hardcore

So, Movies You Should See will return next Monday, I swear. The post is almost ready and I'm sure I could have finished it yesterday, but I took the day off.
I needed some recovery time after this weekend's concerts.
If you didn't get a chance to see "That 80's Show" you can check out the
preview here.
I'm pretty easy to pick out in the second act songs. I'm the only one w/o a white shirt on. I didn't have time to go home and get my gear. So, the bearded guy in the second row is me.
The shows were a success. A co-worker brought his daughter to the Saturday afternoon performance and they had a great time. Lynnie, Joyce, Joy Sue, Risa, Keith, and Phil all came on Sunday. They all said they had a great time, and I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Oh, you want to know about San Francisco.
Ok.
I hadn't been to SF in about eleven years, but I remembered the basic layout of the city. I was surprised how much it reminded me of Seattle (climate, layout, etc.). What Seattle desperately needs that SF does quite well is mass-transit. From the Oakland airport into the city was a breeze and once we were in the city, the MUNI worked well for getting us out to the 'hoods.
But we weren't in SF for sight-seeing. We were they there for, um, sound-hearing.
Booka Shade's set at the Mezzanine was great. It wasn't really the high-water mark of the year that I was anticipating it to be, but the boys knocked it out for sure. [If anyone knows what that last track they played was, please let me know!] My friend Matthew (not to be confused with roommate Matthew) moved out to SF about 6 mos. ago. He was kind enough to do some hand-holding to get us to the club and to show us a lovely time.
The only halfway salvagable picture from the cheap-o disposable I purchased is below. It features Mr. Matthew and myself in my fabulous hotel room.
Of course I ran into Seattlites in San Fran. Of course, I ran into them at H&M. Of course, they were both homos. One I knew from the chorus, the other from clubbing.
Small freakin' world.













Now its time for what you've all been waiting for.

That's right, OKDJ vol. 10 is ready to go.

OKDJ vol. 10

The Light You Will See (Trentemoller's Deep Dub Mix) - Trentemoller
Mayann - David K
Let Me Dance - Martin Landsky
Work in Progress - Darko Esser
Lucky Bastard - DJ T
Reach (Little More Mix) - Lil Mo Yin Yang
Seconds (Moonbeam remix) - Minilogue
Cardiology (Isolee remix) - Recloose
Want 2 Need 2 (Switch main mix) - Sharon Phillips
Higher State Of Consciousness (Dirty South & TV Rock Remix) - Josh Wink
Enter The Fear Who Will Be Slaughtered Next? - Jori Hulkkonen
Make Em Shake It (Stanton Warriors remix) - Wahoo
Mucky Star - Elektrochemie
Moan - Trentemoller

I think I did a pretty good job for the tenth installment. It has a lot of rave-y sounds courtesy of
Strictly Rhythm. It opens with a deep house sounding dub by Trentemoller and ends with his gorgeous newest release on Poker Flat. Because this is the 10th one, I thought it only appropriate that the song that started my obsession be included. That would be Josh Wink's 'Higher State of Consciousness.' That track along with Moby's 'Go,' and the Bucketheads '(These Sounds) Fall Into My Mind' were the first tracks that really made me sit up and give notice to dance music.
It all been downhill since.

DJ Heather this Saturday. I can't wait.

No comments: