3.08.2005

back once again for the renegade master

I know you've all been waiting with bated breath for my triumphant return to the universe of 1's and 0's, and I've finally made it. Basically, I started up ye-olde-blogge again for a couple of reasons. First of all, there is so much good music coming to town that it would be a shame if I didn't, at the very least, take the time to give shout outs and props and all that crap. Secondly, I seem to have an overabundance of time at a particular place--which shall remain nameless. Let's just say its a vault. And its underground.

So anyway. Now you get to deal with my random thoughts. I wish that they were more cohesive like
Peggy Hill's Musings for you, but you have to deal with what you get.

So last night, Kompakt Records label head Michael Mayer made it to our little town, and I've gotta say--I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.
Matt and I agreed that the best track of the night was the first. Although neither of us could train spot it, it definitely set the bar. Unfortunately, that bar wasn't reached again. He was charming and adorable as he walked between his crates and his turntables, bobbing his head, shuffling his feet. He even led the crowd with arm waves--a few songs after he played Nirvana. Yes, Nirvana. Anyway. I felt like he was sort of patronizing us and dumbing things down. I mean there were times when his set was pretty proggy--evidenced by Pete Heller in the guise of Stylus Trouble. But I did dance a whole lot and I did see a lot of the regular crew who always have smiles and hugs. Rating for the show? I give it an enthusiastic "Meh."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice to have you back, you sexy sexy thing. Perhaps you'd like to know my (now other) favorite seatle blog. Seattlist.com

BTW - Magnapop plays here Sunday and Ivy's here next month.

T