3.28.2005

My hat is like a shark's fin

As my good friend Jim Steinman, by way of Meatloaf once said, "Two out of three ain't bad." The Doug Aitken show was a hit. If you live in the area, I'd highly recommend going. Essentially, you walk into the space and there is a "t" or cross shaped room with video being projected onto three of the walls. You can walk around the whole thing or go sit in the middle. The sounds are rhythmic at times, mellow at others. Andre 3000 is prominently featured in one of the videos. What really worked for me was the mesh walls that allowed you to overlap your viewing. So as a woman stands on the shore in video, a man does in the other. The Henry always brings the goods and this show is no exception. I didn't make it up to the top to check out the Celebrity Skin exhibit, but pop photography doesn't really interest me--well, maybe in an editorial sense.
Anyway. Mike and Janice and I didn't get to go see the Nomi Song (I'm assuming because of Janice's dental visit, but I still haven't heard from them). But Maggie did invite me out for drinks with a wonderful group of people loosely associated with Elliot Bay Bookstore.
Then Sunday, Risa, her family and myself, were able to fend off Jesus and that rabid Easter Bunny. The food was amazing and I am always grateful for her family's willingness to open their home to me. Risa's sister brought over Karaoke Revolution (think Dance Dance Revolution, but with a microphone that measures pitch) for the PS2 and I embarrassed myself with a rendition of "Ooops I Did It Again" (all I could seem to remember was the chorus). Then I tore the roof off with the classic "Against All Odds". Went home to catch Arrested Development, et. al. And thought that I would give Grey's Anatomy a shot. It was about as insipid as one would expect. Each story line for the season was spelled out. The love interest, the rival, the mother with Alzheimer's. Sandra Oh, needless to say, is the only actor giving life to her limited character. Ellen Pompeo as the titular Grey mugs just like Renee Zellweger with riased eyebrow and slightly open pursed lips--NOW I know what emotion looks like. Needless to say, I will most likely watch this show next week and roll my eyes.

No comments: