7.07.2005

Dear Prudence

Wow. Thanks, you're too kind. Yes, I did have a lovely birthday. I'm so glad you asked. Here's the rundown. Wake up, decide what my birthday CD will be. Go to work. Totally a slow day. I'm torn about announcing the anniversary of my birth to my co-workers. On the one hand, by announcing my birthday, there is a possibility of things like chocolate fountains. On the other hand, its being subjected to questions like, "How old are you?" and "Do you have any plans?" and so forth. I, mistakenly it turns out, hold to the belief that someone actually knows that its my birthday and it is merely a matter a time before someone tells me I'm needed in the copy room only to be fawned over and sang to. Around 2pm I give into my greedy nature and "let slip" that it is, indeed, the anniversary of the day of my birth. About half an hour later, I am summoned to the copy room--fawning and singing ensue. But better than any co-workers off-key rendition of the world's most sung song, are the Nestle Crunch ice cream bars. Then comes the inevitable. "How old are you," inquires one co-worker.
"Twenty-nine," I sheepishly reply.
"Oh, twenty-nine is nothing! You're one of the youngest people in the department," she reassures me.
"I'm only 22," the pert, chipper blonde chimes in.
Indeed, she is only 22. Would I trade her my experience for her youth? In a heartbeat.
I have already planned to smuggle additional ice cream bars before I head home. I recruit Janice to be my getaway driver. Her reward? Said ice cream bar. I also steal one for Mike.
Then its home and off to dinner with the Geoff. We have an awesome dinner at the new Oaxacan place in my 'hood. Then we walk around Ballard, talking. All in all, a lovely birthday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

jeremy said...

that's an "aww" like, "aww, you loser, you didn't go for it!" not an "aww" like, "aww, how sweet." right?